Monday 18 November 2013

#18: Chandigarh Aashiqui to Photography!

Meet Chandigarh ki kudi, Simran Jagdev Gulati, who loves to shoot. OK, don’t get me wrong. She’s a fabulous wedding photographer who has no Diploma in photography, but is still making a lot of noise in this industry. “I am actually Masters in Finance and Investment from the University of Nottingham, UK and was working at a MNC in Gurgaon from 2007-2012. I quit my job in April last year, to pursue photography full-time. Honestly, it fell right in place with my wedding that took place in November 2012. It has been over a year since I took it up full time,” she shares. 

It’s true that your true love can spot the potential in you faster than you, yourself. In 2009, her then fiancĂ©, (now her husband) Mohit Gulati, gifted her a Photography Workshop in Delhi. Since photography was the only stress buster she enjoyed during her hectic work schedule, Simran took it up without giving a second thought. 

Simran never planned on becoming a professional photographer, until she got her first break. “I have always been taking photographs whenever and wherever I travel, but doing weddings is a different ball game altogether. I have been shooting for a few years now and I enjoy every bit of it, even when it's not easy. The whole process from capturing something, working on it afterwards and satisfying people with the end product makes me happy. I love to take photos and am lucky enough to make a living doing so!” she exclaims.



Simran shares that being a woman; initially shooting weddings was tough. “I felt extremely awkward holding my camera and shooting people. I also got stares from a lot of people. Now I am much more confident. I feel that the brides feel more comfortable around a lady photographer, especially during their makeup session.


Having done more than 50 photo shoots (weddings, engagement, babies, and couples) for Simran it has been a crazy learning experience. “I've never gone big on envisioning setups or photos that I may want to create – it never, ever turns out even close to what I may have thought. I just go into the location and immediately see what I want to do and where and how I want to do it. I really don’t think there’s ever been a better time to be a wedding photographer– if you have talent and a unique style, you can get your work out to the world much faster than ever before,” she says.


Above all, I know that life for a photographer cannot be a matter of indifference. Opinion often consists of a kind of criticism. But criticism can come out of love. It is important to see what is invisible to others. – Robert Frank.

To view more of Simran's work, click here: Simran Jagdev Fotography.

2 comments: