Monday 7 October 2013

#12: The filmy doodle queen

"I learned how to draw from being bored in school. I would doodle on the margins of my paper: Kevin Nealon"
Meet Angel Bedi, the crazy girl who is the heart and soul behind TheFilmyOwl. “I was always the naughty kid in class who would doodle all day in notebooks, be a pro at making cheat notes and come back home to get glued to Zee Cinema. After school, I got through NIFT. Post my graduation, I took a one year breather, during which I drowned myself in paints and eventually fell back in love with doodling. To be being filmy and dramatic is the ultimate definition of freedom, which is further highlighted with free flowing colours. I'm an obsessive compulsive observer and that is exactly where all my inspiration comes from!” shares Bedi. 
During her year off, she went through the 'easy living' 'easy art' phase and this is how TheFilmyOwl came into being. “There was never a thought process around or behind it. One day I just shared some of my illustrations online and the response I got was overwhelming. I never really thought this flightless birdie (the owl) would take off with such beauty,” she shares.

“I think it’s all the positive reinforcement I got from the people who appreciated my work, that made me work harder and do something substantial,” she adds.

Angel believes that her journey has just started. After having freelanced for some quirky design labels like Happily Unmarried, and done interior design graphics for restaurants, along with wall illustrations for Channel [V], she now wants to take baby steps. “I was also one of the artists at the COMIC CON this year that made me realize that my products have a huge market for young adults, so hopefully the future is bright and colourful!” she exclaims.




Everyday Angel receives mails and texts from all over the country, appreciating her work. “It is the best feeling ever. I'm a sucker for 'nods of approval' and every time someone tells me how my illustrations make them smile, I smile. I am so lucky to be making a living out of romancing the love of my life - Art. I don't think I will ever get tired of being lucky,” she giggles.

For all you filmy fans, there is good news. www.TheFilmyOwl.com is going live soon! 
“I have convinced my lazy ass to buck up and make it happen. There are going to be lots of products, from t-shirts to pajamas  cushion covers to tote bags and most importantly - doodle diaries. I want people to start doodling, making lazy art, and writing diaries. Believe me: it is the best therapy ever,” she says!

4 comments: