Thursday 17 October 2013

#15: Your clothes: designed with love

A National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi alumni, Ridhi Bansal graduated in the field of knitwear design. After graduation, she worked with the label "Not So Serious" by Pallavi Mohan, and then in a buying house in Nehru Place before starting her own label, almost two years back.

The inspiration behind her brand Ridhi Bansal was simple; all she wanted was to make the Indian women feel more beautiful and confident in their own skin. “And the feeling you get by making someone else happy is just another high. Whether a certain shape or cut is in vogue at that time is not always relevant. It is more to do with ones’ own look and expression. My idea of fashion is solely based in style: a very personalized and self-sufficient form of dressing,” says Ridhi.

“Every situation in every day is an opportunity, to dress and put-forth something beautiful in the world. My inspiration is an attempt to add something beautiful in the world, in my own little way,” she adds.


For Ridhi, the journey so far has been rocky yet worth the effort. “Working with various karigars and dyers, I have learnt to manage different kinds of people involved in this line of business. But at the end of the day, the best part of my job is to see a happy client. My day is made when a client thanks me for making her look pretty. Since it is also about making something from scratch, what I picture in my mind and when it comes out just the way I want it, is the best feeling ever,” she exclaims.

The highest point of Ridhi’s journey was in fact right before she started her brand. She got through Parsons The New School For Design, but ended up returning from there due to her own reasons. “But that did give me a big ego boost!” she shares.

Asin wearing Ridhi Bansal's creation
“With this profession becoming a hobby for a lot of people, and because of abundant resources available, people find it easy to open home boutiques. This becomes a tad bit difficult for people who put in 4 years to study this field, to stand out. I believe that what my strong point is that I don’t believe in Avant-garde designs. Even if I make the clothes for the ramp, they would be very wearable. Also the colour sensibility is my strongest point. I want today’s women to not be afraid of dawning any colour. From the popping florescent to the pastel hues, I want women to stop thinking that a particular colour doesn't suit them. I want that concept to be out of their head,” she says.

My label is just a an attempt at helping my clients find that form of expression and translate it into their own personal style, while staying relevant with the times,” ends Ridhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment