Monday 14 October 2013

#14: Paint Your Sole: Rainbow Style


Nidhi Inani wearing her own collection
A born misfit in a conservative Marwari business family, Nidhi Inani, the brain behind Paint Your Sole, discovered the creative streak in her when she was 6 years old. She copied her aunt’s drawing as it was and ran around the house showing it to everyone. “My mom nurtured my talent ever since. We gave our family a little shock when I decided to do my graduation in Fine Arts and she decided to support me with my decision. The shock was obvious as I was expected to pursue my career in Commerce but I chose to be the black sheep of the family instead. I was mocked at by my other Engineer and MBA cousins for choosing something that was not-so-intellectual and this went on throughout my graduation,” shares Nidhi.

After completing her bachelor's in Painting from JNA&FAU (Jawaharlal Architecture and Fine Arts University) Hyderabad. Nidhi wasn't convinced with the art scene in Hyderabad. So she moved on to what she once thought was impossible- apply for admission at NID (National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad). “I applied for a course that was closest to my field and that was Ceramics and Glass Design. But due to my health and family issues I had to discontinue the course after a year,” she adds.

Ask about the big idea behind Paint Your Sole, and Nidhi has an interesting story to share. “When I was in my 2nd year of graduation, my mom was throwing away my brother's old canvas shoes during Diwali cleaning. But I had a better idea- I took the shoes and painted all my favourite things on it. I wore it to the college one day and the response I got was overwhelming. That day I just made a mental note in my mind that if I had nothing better to do with my life, I'd sit and paint shoes. And after I left NID, I was overcome with depression for about 2 months. All I did was eat, sleep, mourn and become fat. That was the time when my mind rang a bell and I decided to give it a shot. I gathered all the pictures of the shoes I had painted so far as gifts for my cousins and friends and put them up on a Facebook page I created. And within 20 days of uploading, I already had 100 people following my page and there was no looking back ever since,” she exclaims.

“This year long journey has been creative and an enjoyable experience for me. It feels great to have eager clients who are always on their toes to see how their shoes turn up. Making my customers happy is what keeps me going. One incidence I want to share is I once painted a pair for a college girl in Delhi. I asked her to send me her picture wearing those shoes as she was so eager to get them. But unfortunately she was down with chicken pox when she received them. A few days later I was surprised to find that she had posted a picture of herself in the shoes with a note saying that she was so happy to have the shoes that she HAD to get well to get a picture clicked in them! That meant a lot to me. To know what kind of happiness my shoes can sometimes bring to my clients is indeed a fulfilling,” she further adds.


On the other hand, Nidhi did keep falling in and out of this relationship with her work. She often questions what the future holds for her work and whether she should stick to painting shoes or explore other options. But she has never once left its side. And they continue to be going stronger.

The best part about Nidhi’s job (apart from being her own boss) is that her creativity reaches all around the country with her just sitting in her bedroom. “My job is a reminder to me that nothing is impossible when you are determined to do something. I love interacting with people enthusiastically telling me how they want their shoes to look like. I have also grown in terms of creativity and have come up with a lot of designs of my own apart from customizing for customers,” she says.

“I want to give it my all and make one-of-a-kind pieces. I wish to give a more serious approach to it. I really hope that this work of mine gets commissioned as a serious works of art. I now want to give my work a direction as I have explored enough with it!” she ends.

Wishing Nidhi good luck for all her future endeavours!

No comments:

Post a Comment